For something a little more decadent, feast your eyes and then your mouth on this deluxe sandwich.
- Asparagus and spring onions, ends trimmed
- Olive oil
- Maldon salt
- Good bread, cut into thick slices
- Bechamel sauce
- Grated Gruyère, Comté or Swiss cheese
- Fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC. Toss the asparagus and spring onions with olive oil and Maldon salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill. Place the slices of bread on a sheet pan and grill them about a minute on each side. Remove pan from the oven. Spread about a tablespoon of bechamel over each slice of bread. Top with the roasted vegetables. Top with grated cheese to taste.
- Grill until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown. Sprinkle with the fresh thyme and serve immediately.
Recipe: Alexandra Cooks